London’s Fabric Permanently Shut Down
Islington Council has revoked Fabric’s license, explicitly blaming the club for the ecstasy related death of two teenager revellers who collapsed and died at the club in separate incidents this summer.
“People entering the club were inadequately searched,” the council declared in a statement outlining their decision.
“Staff intervention and security was grossly inadequate in light of the overwhelming evidence that it was abundantly obvious that patrons in the club were on drugs and manifesting symptoms showing that they were. This included sweating, glazed red eyes and staring into space and people asking for help,” the statement added.
“Deaths at the club have involved people that are very young, with numerous breaches of the licensing agreement as a culture of drugs exists at the club which management cannot control,” Flora Williamson of the Licensing Sub Committee stated at the hearing that decided fabric’s future.
“The Licensing Sub Committee has considered adding more conditions, but it does not feel these would be adequate in tackling the issue. We therefore decided that a revocation of the license is appropriate in that regard,” she decreed. (DJMag; Live Feed )
Fabric resident Jacob Huxley, who as well as founding long-running Sunday night event Wet Yourself set up the SAVE FABRIC petition which garnered 150,000 signatures, said the decision sets an ominous precedent for the rest of London nightlife.
“We are in shock,’” he told the Guardian hours after the decision, “I am feeling a mixture of disbelief and anger and sadness . . . It would be a devastating blow for London and culture, and clubs across the UK.” (Guardian )
“This was all too predictable,” DJ Sasha tweeted, “Don’t think @SadiqKhan @MPSIslington or @metpoliceuk had any intention of working with the club #fabricreview”.
Manchester’s Warehouse Project also spoke out.
“Terrible news. End of an era,” they tweeted, “And a massive loss to UK clubbing culture #FabricReview.”